To reach a destination one has to know where you’d like to go and then plan the route. Thorough planning builds strong organizations and is the basis of attaining desired goals. The Museum’s volunteer Board of Directors and its staff team are firm believers in this simple but absolute truth.
For this reason, the Board and staff ensure that a Strategic Plan, or longer term planning agenda, is in place at all times. Ongoing strategic planning defines the central goals and priorities for the Museum for each three to five year period. The governing Strategic Plan for any given period becomes the foundation for annual business and operational plans, including budgets. Regular reviews assess the Museum’s strategic course and allow for adjustments, where and when needed.
As part of this ongoing planning process, the Stratford Perth Museum put a new strategic plan in place in January 2014, VISTA, and it will be the cornerstone document for the Museum through 2016.
VISTA defines five core goals for the Museum during this period.
- Adhere to the Stratford Perth Museum’s 10-year Funding Agreement but capitalize on all reasonable revenue opportunies.
- Increase membership and optimize SPM brand profile through sound communications/marketing strategy.
- Capitalize on the “historical campus” opportunity supported by a full site plan.
- Focus on a vibrant, relevant exhibit and public education program
- Strengthen and reinforce the staff/volunteer dynamic
To discuss the Museum’s strategic plan or any other governance issues contac current Board Chair, David Stones.