Fundraising and Friendship
Over the years church groups across Perth County and elsewhere often chose a quilt-making project to create a prize for a draw at a bazaar, commemorate a particular church group, recognise a church member’s departure for the mission fields, or as a gift to their pastor who was moving on to another church. The Museum’s collection includes a selection of of such quilts from across the county including some from churches no longer in existence.
The South Methodist Church Friendship Signature Quilt made in 1881 in Stratford, Ontario
This quilt was worked on in 1881 by the women of the church congregation. It is made of 56 blocks of dark red and tan wool, each inscribed with a group of church member’s names embroidered with yellow thread. There are 763 names embroidered on the quilt in total. The quilt itself is 120cm long and 190cm wide. Click here for the list of names embroidered on the quilt.
The Bethel Methodist Church Signature Quilt made in 1928 in Munro, Fullarton Township, Perth County
This white cotton quilt was made by the members of the Three Merry Maidens Class at Bethel Church in Munro Ontario in 1928. Nineteen of the twenty blocks of this quilt are covered in names, embroidered in red thread and arranged in a star shaped pattern. Two of the embroidered names on the quilt belong to the Sunday school superintendents who served the church over seventy years until the Bethel Church closed in 1968. More information on the Bethel Church and the Merry Maidens class can be found in “Water Under the Bridge,” a history of the Fullarton township. Click here for the list of names embroidered on the quilt.
The Knox Presbyterian Church “Bethany Girls” Quilt made in 1918 in Stratford, Ontario
This quilt was made by a group of young church women known as “The Bethany Girls” as a gift for Clara Preston, a church member who had just finished her training as a nurse. She departed to China for missionary service in 1922 where she served three terms and became the nursing superintendent in Changte Hospital in Honan Province. Upon her return to Canada in 1949 when all foreign missionaries were expelled from China by the incoming Communist government, she supported the Women’s Missionary Society of Canada by accepting nursing positions in Hearst, Ontario and Burns Lake, British Columbia. She died there in 1959 and is buried in Avondale Cemetery in Stratford. The quilt itself is made out of white cotton with 239 names embroidered in red across all 16 blocks. Clara Preston’s name features prominently on the quilt. Click here for the list of names embroidered on the quilt.
Methodist Church Signature Quilt made in 1896 in Milverton, Ontario
This quilt is in a red and white block pattern. Approximately 460 names are embroidered on 76 of the blocks in a wide variety of motifs. An embroidered image of the church is featured in the centre of the quilt along with the name of the Pastor stationed there in 1896. The initials of the Women’s Missionary Society (WMS) are also inscribed in this block which could suggest that members of that group made the quilt. Click here for the list of names embroidered on the quilt.
The Malcolm-Roney Family Signature Quilt made in 1926
This quilt was given as a prize in a 1920’s fundraiser connected with the Zion United Church east of Dublin Ontario. The mother of the donor of this quilt won the prize by gathering the most $10 donations. The quilt itself is made of white cotton with approximately 504 names embroidered with red thread on 42 blocks. Click here for a list of names embroidered on the quilt.
The Methodist Church of Canada, Staffa Ontario Circuit Signature Quilt made in 1917-18
This red and white signature quilt which has 245 names embroidered on 30 blocks was made during the time Rev. Arthur J. Love was the minister. His is the first name in the first block. Another block salutes the King and the year 1918, likely acknowledging the end of World War I. Other blocks have the names of Bible Class teachers and students as well as the names of church group members. Click here for a list of names embroidered on the quilt.
The Hibbert United Church Signature Quilt made in 1975 in Staffa, Ontario
This quilt was made by the Hibbert United Church Women’s group to mark the 50th anniversary of the United Church in Canada. It was presented to the Reverend Bert Daynard who was the minister there from 1946-1977. The quilt itself is made of 35 gold and white blocks on which 98 names are inscribed. Click here for a list of names embroidered on the quilt.
The Monkton United Church Signature Quilt made in 1886 in Monkton, Ontario
This cotton quilt was made in 1886 by the women of the Methodist Church in Monkton (which later became the Monkton United Church.) This quilt was presented as a parting gift to the Reverend D.A. Moir when he left the parish in 1886. The church officially closed in June 2014 at which time the quilt was donated to our collection. The quilt itself has a red and white block pattern with names embroidered in contrasting red and white thread.
The St. John’s United Church Signature Quilt made in 1925 in Stratford, Ontario
This signature quilt was made by members of the St. John’s Ladies Aid which was organized in 1925 when the congregation of St. John’s United Church was newly formed following the merger of two earlier United Churches. It was sold to the highest bidder at their bazaar in November of 1926. The fabric of this signature quilt is white cotton with the signatures embroidered with blue thread and arranged in the shape of stars on the white blocks.
The Trinity Anglican Church Signature Quilt on loan from Mitchell, Ontario.
This quilt was made during the time that Rev. J.T. Kerrian served as a pastor at the Trinity Anglican Church. The church, which was erected in 1897, was very active in the community and church groups hosted many special services and community events. The last Sunday worship service was held June 24,2012. Shortly afterward the quilt was loaned to the Stratford Perth Museum’s collection. The quilt itself is white with 411 names embroidered on it. Click here for the list of names embroidered on the quilt.
The Fullarton-Kirkton Community Signature Quilt made in 1936
This white cotton quilt was made in 1936 and has over 300 names embroidered with red thread along the quilt. Among the names are the minister of the Kirkton United Church at the time, school teachers, a physician and his family, a music teacher, a local veterinarian, tradesmen, gardeners, members of the Edighoffer family who would later operate a well known store in Mitchell, and a descendant who would later serve as a provincial cabinet minister.
The Logan – Elma Township Area Signature Quilt, likely made in the 1920s
Little is known about the origins of this quilt, but following a recent exhibit of the Museum’s signature quilt collection, comments from visitors suggest it could be from the former Logan – Elma – Hibbert township areas of Perth County. Brief searches of township history books did reveal potential connections and locations. This quilt itself is made of white cotton with 42 blocks with 840 names embroidered Each block has an eight sided star pattern of twenty names stitched in red. Click here for a list of names embroidered on the quilt.